Re: Sound woes again (please help)

Subject: Re: Sound woes again (please help)
From: William K. Gibson (firstdesk@columbus.rr.com)
Date: Mon Jul 24 2000 - 12:48:44 MDT

on 7/21/00 7:37 PM, Ed Jaeger at ed.jaeger@bgcorp.com wrote:

> Here's what I have:

[deleted]

Thanks to everyone responding to this. I have more info on the problem that
may shed more light.

Apparently there IS sound coming out of the headphone jack. It is the
internal speaker that is not working.

I have tried booting into the MacOS with the headphones plugged in and then
removing the headphones. Speaker works fine in MacOS.

Then I boot into linux with BootX. Everything is loading up when suddenly
these two lines appear:

And that's it. The machine hangs completely- no [FAILED] or [ OK ] message
appears and hitting the return key does nothing.

A subsequent boot produces:

And linux comes up normally. Except there is still no sound coming out the
internal speaker. Sound works out the headphones fine- even in MOL.

Does anyone know where these mixer settings are coming from- or what files
and commands are used at this point in the startup? I figure if I can just
trash the right file then I may be able to solve this problem.

--William K. Gibson
1stDesk Systems
firstdesk@columbus.rr.com