DV sound and video

Subject: DV sound and video
From: Pat Plummer (ppat@micron.net)
Date: Tue Jul 25 2000 - 00:28:56 MDT

RE: Sound output on an iMac DV running CS 1.2

on 7/17/00 6:30 AM, Eichenbaum, Larry at Larry.Eichenbaum@Bowne.com wrote:

> I have the same problem...no sound... have you solved this? Any thoughts you
> can provide? I am not finding anything in the FAQs... Perhaps I'm looking in
> the wrong place.

To answer some of the questions I've asked here over the last week or so
(things that apparently others, like Larry, are also wondering about), my
research has led me to believe:

Sound output on iMac DVs apparently does not work on the kernel version
released with CS 1.2 (2.2.15pre7). It also doesn't work with the latest
stable and development versions of the kernel near as I can tell (stable:
2.2.15pre19 and dev: 2.3.99-pre6-pre3). Perhaps some of Ben H's latest
kernel versions do altho this is not expressly stated.

These same kernels provide some support for the ATI Rage 128 graphics in
iMac DVs, but there are still problems in some video modes.

Also, latest versions of Xpmac reputedly support the ATI Rage 128 pretty
well.

My question now would be:

Should I upgrade to Ben H's latest kernel and switch to the latest version
of XPmac ?

Any comments or alternate paths would be appreciated :) . I apologize in
advance if I am only restating well known facts...

Pat (just another newbie trying to make sense of it all)

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
 -- Philip K. Dick
Patrick Plummer, MD
ppat@micron.net
ppat@mac.com