Re: looking for a good programming environment

Subject: Re: looking for a good programming environment
From: Brett Humphreys (bhumphre@p1.cs.ohiou.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 25 2000 - 06:30:39 MDT

Hey rich,
        I"m a CS student, and i've never used anything better than Emacs. You
can also try Xemacs but it is a pain b/c it is very taxing on the system.
Actually, if you want pretty color syntax highlighting, try xjed.
these are all great editory. Emacs and Xjed both share the same
Keybindings. THese take some time to learn, but do learn the keybindings.
 they are the greatest thing in teh world. I used to be a purely point
and click kid, but then i met emacs and realized how muhc faster i could
be. (plus how much cooler you look by doing things on the keyboard that
would normallly take five or six mouseclicks :) )

        Try xjed, usually it is built right on the linux system. Read
some docs on it. If you have any troubles lemme know.

        if you want a debuggger, i *highly* suggest you using GDB. It is
a great debugger for C. And not impossible to learn.
        I'm a Teaching Assistant for my university, and i force my
students to learn about Makefiles too. They will save your life. If you
need sample makefiles lemme know.

hope that helps.
-brett