solution - Re: serious appletalk permissions problem

Subject: solution - Re: serious appletalk permissions problem
From: Stefan Jeglinski (jeglin@4pi.com)
Date: Wed Jul 26 2000 - 08:22:24 MDT

Chris Chapman wrote:

>The problem is that you do not have all files written with the same
>access privs. Make sure you have setup sticky groups. This makes sure
>that files written to a directory have the same ownership and group
>privs. We ran into this *exact* problem and this solution fixed the
>problem. [i did not write the solution you see below, i just saved it
>from a netatalk list sometime back] Hope this helps.

Thanks, this was a good clue, and I tried it first, but unfortunately
was not it. Chris Murtagh had the better clue :-) when he said:

> Try trashing all the Appletalk folders. This includes
>'TheVolumeSettingsFolder', 'Network Trash Folder' and any '.AppleDouble'
>folders (they will probably be invisible to the mac, do an 'ls -l .A*' and
>you will see them). This might solve your problems.

The solution was that invisible directory, .AppleDouble, for each
directory of html files, which I believe maintain the icons for the
files. Permissions in this folder were not set correctly.

Why this worked before is no longer a mystery (well, the precise
mechanism is, but I am pretty darn sure of how it happened). The
first time I set something like this up, the html files were plain
text UNIX-type files to begin with. From their location in their
directories, I opened up the directories as Appletalk volumes and
batch-changed creators (with FileBuddy, over the network) to BBEdit
for the sake of the person using it (so to them they hardly knew they
were talking to a Unix-like box). Unbeknownst to me, the .AppleDouble
directory for the icons was automatically set with the right
permissions. It just worked.

However, this time, I copied the files from a Mac volume into place
on the Appletalk-mounted volume. These files already had icons
associated with them, and somehow, even though the files themselves
were created with the right permissions, the created .AppleDouble
directory was not.

My big problem now is that I have a huge mess of directories and
files going all the way back up to the root level from here with all
kinds of different permissions on them from my experimentation.
Sigh... my only consolation is that these trials and tribulations
make me even more of a Linux geek. Hey, wait a minute... do I want
that?!

Stefan Jeglinski