Powerbooks and X

Subject: Powerbooks and X
From: Black (cpa@ece.cmu.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 26 2000 - 16:16:09 MDT

Thank you to everyone who helped me out in getting my system installed.
I'm now trying to get X-windows up and running. I had it working with the
version of XFree86 that was part of the YD install. I found someone's web
site on setting up X on powerbooks, and thought I would try some of the
advice to make a better X install. Aparently, there was a way to set
things up so I didn't have to use the 'no video driver' option to make X
run better, but I couldn't figuare out how to do that without having my
screen go all wonky (either black with blue lines or all white...).

I then tryed to use Xpmac, but when I started X up the resolution was all
screwed up and nothing I did could change it. I tried to use vmode (which
wouldn't change anything and when I just queried it by doing vmode
straight, I got 0 16 from it (I was hoping/trying for 14/24...). I tried
passing -mode 14 to startx and it didn't do anything either.

So, i tried to upgrade to XFree86 4.0, but that didn't work either. I used
the RPMS, and they installed fine, but didn't give me an X server. I tried
to run xf86config, but I'm not sure what exactly I should do to set up for
my powerbook.

I am very confused and have made X completely unrunnable instead of the
mere slow and clunky that it was before. I've been all through the
archives, but I can't find anything to help me. Any advice would be
extremely welcome.

Thank you,
Christopher