Re: Has anyone got X to work on an AGP G4

Subject: Re: Has anyone got X to work on an AGP G4
From: Philip Brodd (pbrodd@cs.uiowa.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 27 2000 - 19:50:44 MDT

[I do have my own question at the end, if any gurus are reading this.]

I've been using XFree86 4.0 for about a week on my AGP G4/450 with
Champion Server 1.2. I recommend using the RPMs found at

<ftp://devel.linuxppc.org/users/howarth/xf4>

Installation was a snap. Just read the file README.FIRST in that
directory. The only stickiness involved enabling resolutions other than
1024x768. The default XF86Config file provided at the URL above for the
Rage 128 stops there. But I found a very easy solution in this message
from the linuxppc-user list archives:

<http://lists.linuxppc.org/listarcs/linuxppc-user/200004/msg02026.html>

This was all I needed to get me running happily at 1280x1024. My only
question is whether or not I'm operating at the capacity of my monitor.
I have a ViewSonic P815 that can do 1280x1024 at 106 Hz, but the modes
used by the vmode command seem to be limited to 75 Hz. Is there a way to
tell what my current refresh rate is, and increase it if it's really only
at 75 Hz?

Phil Brodd