RE: Need Help with FE551 / Realtek ethernet

Subject: RE: Need Help with FE551 / Realtek ethernet
From: Andy Peters (apeters@noao.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 28 2000 - 13:08:50 MDT

I bought an SMC card (EZNET 10/100) with that chip on it. I put it in my
B+W G3/300, which also has built-in ethernet (I'm routing from the sprint
wireless broadband). The default YDL install doesn't have support for this
chip, and the module wasn't compiled, either.

The source for the driver is included with the Linux sources.

It turns out that Don Becker, author of most of the Ethernet card drivers,
has a wealth of info posted at:

http://www.scyld.com/network/ and the specific info for this chip is at
http://www.scyld.com/network/rtl8139.html

Information on how to compile and install the module is here:
http://www.scyld.com/expert/modules.html

works for me!

Andy Peters
Sr Electrical Engineer
National Optical Astronomy Observatories
950 N Cherry Ave
Tucson, AZ 85719
520 318 8191
apeters@noao.edu

"A sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
     --Arthur C. Clarke