Re: Kernel Panic

Subject: Re: Kernel Panic
From: Graham Leggett (minfrin@sharp.fm)
Date: Fri Jul 28 2000 - 15:01:03 MDT

"Prodoehl, Peter" wrote:

> This is sort of a newbie question - but what's a kernel panic - what causes it
> and what do I need to do to fix it.

A kernel panic is an error in the kernel that causes the entire
operating system to exit or freeze. Kernel panics are caused by bugs in
the operating system, usually in device drivers. Using stable versions
of the Linux kernel (currently v2.2.x) should be relatively bugfree (I
have not had a stable kernel panic on me in years), but if you're using
unstable or prerelease kernels or device drivers you'll get the odd
panic every now and again.

If you're being plagued by them the solution is to upgrade to a more
recent (and hopefully fixed) version of the Linux kernel. Sometimes
using very recent hardware means less stable device drivers and in turn
more chance of a kernel panic - life on the bleeding edge.

Regards,
Graham

minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon
					over Bourbon Street