RE: Get the last stable kernel...

Subject: RE: Get the last stable kernel...
From: Pat Plummer (ppat@micron.net)
Date: Fri Jul 28 2000 - 16:45:11 MDT

>What is the best way to get the last stable kernel for my iMac DV, where
>do I have to look for it??? And how about the last stable XFree86
4.0???

Andrea:

Here's what I did (after researching the problem):

1) Get the latest version of Ben H's kernel (2.2.17pre13-ben1 -- it's
precompiled) at <http://ppclinux.apple.com/~benh/>. It's been stable for me
so far. Besure to read this page carefully for install instructions. You
will need this file to update your devices correctly:
<ftp://devel.linuxppc.org/users/fsirl/R5/RPMS/ppc/dev-2.7.18-3b.ppc.rpm> .

2) Put a copy of the kernel ( rename it vmlinux) at the root of your MacOS
partition and in the /boot folder of your root partion (linux).

3) create a symlink (ln -s vmlinux-2.2.17pre13-ben1 vmlinux) while there in
the /boot folder.

4) put the System.map-2.2.17pre13-ben1 in /boot and create another symlink
(ln -s System.map-2.2.17pre13-ben1 System.map) while there.

5) put the modules folder (2.2.17pre13-ben1) in the /lib/modules folder.
This new folder does not seem to have the dmasound module, so I have not
gotten sound working yet and am tinkering with this. I will be trying to
just add that module from the CS 1.2 modules folder to see if this works.
Apparently there still is no sound coming from external speakers on the DVs
even with a dmasound module and ben syays this will be fixed in the future
but can't say exactly when. Sound is supposed to be able to be heard with
headphones via the headphones jack (obviously), but I haven't experienced
that yet :) .

6) Otherwise, follow the steps outlined at
<http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/faq_solutions.shtml> for
installation. Be sure to use the xkb.tgz file and the XF86Config files they
have posted at this link and install them just as they say.

I got my functional version of XFree86 4.0 at
<ftp://devel.linuxppc.org/users/fsirl/xf4/RPMS/> -- get all the XFree86*
files. It's patched for the new input layer and probably only works for the
ATI Rage 128 chipset.

Now, having said all of this -- all the standard disclaimers apply :) . All
I can say is that it has worked for me so far. I'm sure someone will pipe up
if I have something seriously wrong or if they have suggestions (hint, hint
-- I can use all I can get...) .

Thnaks to all of you that helped me to one degree or another. Hope this info
helps someone else who is in the same boat I was a week ago.

I do have one question though -- how do I get rid of the annoying RedHat
logo on my X login screen? I't's a nice logo, no doubt, but I'd rather have
a Yellow Dog and barring that, nothing at all.

Pat

--
Pat Plummer, MD
ppat@micron.net