Re: Has anyone got X to work on an AGP G4

Subject: Re: Has anyone got X to work on an AGP G4
From: Jay Thor Turner (turner@drea.dnd.ca)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2000 - 05:04:26 MDT

Mike Tuller wrote:

> I did everything that was suggested here, and still I have three different
> panels, but now the USD doesn't work properly. Things are just getting
> worse.
>
> With Apple have standard hardware, one would think that this process would
> be easy. I have no trouble working with RedHat on a homemade PC. the G4 AGP
> has been out for a long time and neither Yellowdog or LinuxPPC has any
> useful documentation of how to set things up.
>
> I tell ya. I have been working with and promoting Linux for 2 years now,
> thinking everything was getting easier to use, but it really isn't. And now
> that I have installed OS X on different types of machines, I know that Linux
> is going to have a tough time in the Mac world. There is nothing like an
> installer that actually installs what you need.

Using a new kernel might solve your problems. You can download a kernel from
Benjamin Herrenschmidt's page http://ppclinux.apple.com/~benh I'm using
2.2.17pre10-ben2. The other option is to get the new kernel from
ftp://ftp.terraplex.com/pub/updates/kernel. Hopefully that will work.

Jay Thor

--
A/SLt Jay Thor Turner
DREA