Newbie - Disk Space Conundrum

Subject: Newbie - Disk Space Conundrum
john.newsom@bsd405.com
Date: Mon Jul 31 2000 - 16:07:59 MDT

Hello.

Running YDL CS 1.2 on PBG3 (Lombard) I have two Linux partitions, /hda10 (root)
and /hda11 (swap). Below I have pasted my partition map (from PDISK)

Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/hda' #: type name
length base ( size ) 1: Apple_partition_map Apple 63 @ 1
2: Apple_Driver43*Macintosh 54 @ 64 3:
Apple_Driver43*Macintosh 74 @ 118 4: Apple_Driver_ATA*Macintosh
54 @ 192 5: Apple_Driver_ATA*Macintosh 74 @ 246 6:
Apple_Driver_IOKit Macintosh 512 @ 320 7:
Apple_Patches Patch Partition 512 @ 832 8:
Apple_HFS untitled 8279547 @ 1344 ( 3.9G) 9:
Apple_HFS untitled 2 176671 @ 8280891 ( 86.3M10:
Apple_UNIX_SVR2 root 3891200 @ 8457562 ( 1.9G)11:
Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap 245760 @ 12348762 (120.0M)12: Apple_Free
Extra 91158 @ 12594522 ( 44.5M)
Device block size=512, Number of Blocks=12685679 (6.0G)

So it looks from the partition map that I have 1.9 GB available for my root
partition. However, when I check disk space with df, I get the following:

[root@localhost /root]# df
Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on /dev/hda10
1020147 854197 113240 88% /

[root@localhost /root]# df -h
/dev/hda10 996M 834M 111M 88% /
/dev/hda9 86M 36M 50M 42% /mnt/hfs

These results indicate about 1/2 the storage. Could this be the result of
failing to restart after creating the partition map before going on with the
install? The system has been stable for sometime, except for this anomaly.

Thanks for any help or light.

John Newsom