RE: No way booting the install YDL-2.0 on a G4

Subject: RE: No way booting the install YDL-2.0 on a G4
From: Jeffrey Barneveld (jeffrey@tide-web.com)
Date: Sun Jul 01 2001 - 14:43:27 MDT

Thanks for the clues so far...

It seems to me that the only difference between my system and the other
dual-G4 systems is the video card.
The Rage works and the nVidia works, but my Radeon 32mb doesn't.

Booting the text-only version of the install doesn't work. But I do get a
textscreen for yaboot. I have been using Linux on pc's for years now and I
know that the installer of RedHat uses another resolution than the screen
I get for yaboot.
My guess is that even the text-only installer chooses another textmode
after yaboot, and that this causes my system to stop working.
Why? because when I boot from the CD and choose different install kernels,
the time that the CD-drive is running differs.. The install probably runs,
but I can't see it.

My question: How do I tell yaboot to set a video mode using my Radeon, and
what video modes are available. Then I can at least get Linux up and
running in text mode.

Jeffrey.