Re: RTFM Resources Wanted

Subject: Re: RTFM Resources Wanted
From: Jim Potter (jrp@wvi.com)
Date: Sun Jul 01 2001 - 16:08:10 MDT

I have had pretty good luck finding answers in the "HOW-TO's" on
linuxdoc. They have links to an index of many 'regular' and 'mini'
how-to's. Not everything may apply to your exact question or situation,
and sometimes it helps if you go a bit farther afield with your
question; for example, I recall many of my NFS & TFTP questions being
answered from the 'bootdisk', 'diskless', 'diskless-root' and
'thin-client' how-to's. Also, some of the scsi-related ones helped with
some IDE work. There is a Networking-Overview-HOWTO.

Keep in mind that most of the docs you'll run into are pretty
x86-specific, and they've got a bad
"I-Can't-See-You-So-Don't-Pretend-You're-Really-There" attitude. As
with most other things in life, there are no simple answers (with the
notable exception about staying away from anything from MS). Basically,
looking around at other things will sometimes yield clues to help piece
together the puzzle.

In short, checking out the how-to's, searching the mailing list
archives, and asking on the mailing list (roughly in that order) has
worked for me.

--
Sincerely,

Jim Potter 45th Parallel Processing jrp@wvi.com