Re: RTFM Resources Wanted & networking

Subject: Re: RTFM Resources Wanted & networking
From: perry (pm_perry@pacbell.net)
Date: Sun Jul 01 2001 - 16:29:37 MDT

Hi Ted,

Just a reminder: you aren't going to be able to make changes to your
network configurations as a "user"--you must be in root mode or at the
"super user" prompt in order to make those sorts of changes. Log in as
Root. So if you don't have access suddenly to Network Configuration
panels from within KDE or other GUIs, that is, perhaps, why?

How complex is your network? Your router, if you have one, might have a
"gateway" address, typically, of 192.168.1.1. Netmask, typically
255.255.255.0. And then you need to provide some DNS or name server
addresses usually provided by your ISP. The individual IP addresses on
your LAN might be, typically, 192.168.1.2 for the first machine, and for
the next, 192.168.1.3, and so on.

I MUST CORRECT what I said earlier:
any program you have installed has documentation from KDE HELP in
file:/usr/share/doc/ ...(not usr/docs). As I said, click on the life
preserver ICON--From the KDE Help window, .you will need to TRUNCATE the
address so that it ends with ....doc/ and hit Return. You will see that
you have MANY manuals at your disposal.

Hope this helps,
perry phillips