Re: RTFM Resources Wanted & networking & KDE Help

Subject: Re: RTFM Resources Wanted & networking & KDE Help
From: perry (pm_perry@pacbell.net)
Date: Sun Jul 01 2001 - 22:03:53 MDT

Hi Ted,

Let me offer a couple more thoughts to get your network up:

From Root login, KDE: go to Settings, then Network, then LAN (or there
might be another option like "Network Configuration"). (I'm in user mode at
the moment myself and can't look at my network settings). When you get to
where your IP info is stored, it shouldn't be much different from a TCP/IP
control panel for a LAN in the Mac environment. You fill in the blanks and
change any info which you KNOW is wrong.

Besides the info I mentioned earlier (router = 192.168.1.1; netmask =
255.255.255.0), you may need to give your Host machine a name and it should
have the Host IP address of 127.0.0.1; nicknames might include "localhost"
& yourhostname.localdomain

Interface IP Proto
Atboot Active
------ -------- ----- ------ -----

lo 127.0.0.1 none
yes active
eth0 192.168.1.2 static
yes active

I would avoid using DHCP and choose static option because many people have
reported problems with DHCP. Besides this information, you must enter DNS
numbers provided by your ISP. Otherwise, probably safe to leave unknown
items blank. That should cover it? (Sorry I'm not looking at my own
configuration settings, but if you have further trouble, feel free to write
to me directly.)

In the above example, 192.168.1.2 is the server, and 192.168.1.1 would be
the router address. This is typical stuff and I'm leaving out all details
about the numbers, just telling you something I feel confident will work
for you.

If you don't have a router, then it is simpler and perhaps I've given too
much info. Just use "gateway" and IP addresses given by your ISP.

I'm actually writing to you from a server running Redhat as my own Mac had a
hard drive failure, so I'm trying to give you advice based on what I
remember about YDL. There was a bug, as I recall in the KDE Help which
disabled the normal functioning for me. That's why I gave those odd
instructions about how to access some of the manuals. On this Redhat
system, I have no problem running KDE Help. Ordinarily, it would be quite
simple: KDE Help, then Applications Manuals, then System, then Internet
Configuration and you would have tons of relevant info. Try that from the
left KDE Help panel, it might work for you?

regards,
perry phillips