Some YDL2.0 issues

Subject: Some YDL2.0 issues
From: Kevin B. Hendricks (khendricks@ivey.uwo.ca)
Date: Sun Jul 01 2001 - 23:04:22 MDT

Hi All,

I finally got around to installing YDL 2.0 from CD.

1) What are the latest development tools and glibc to use:
On Franz Sirl's devel.linuxppc.org site are the following tools:
Are these the most recent non-gcc-3.0 tools to use?

binutils-2.11.90.0.7-0a.src.rpm
gcc-2.95.4-3e.src.rpm
glibc-2.2.3-5a.src.rpm

As for the install, here are a few issues I would like to feedback on if
possible.

1.) Install CD (even a replacement one that YDL just sent to me) did not work
in my system B+W G3 without lots of tender loving care (cleaning , etc). Is
the install cd oversized (over the limit in some way)? I had to try to load
it at least 10 times until it finally was able to be read by my machine
without lots of loud clicking noises and errored out installs.

2). I had to use the text installer since the graphical one never seemed to
find the ramdisk image it needed (a install cd issue corruption issue?).

3) The custom install will not correctly format the bootloader partition.
The partion must have been unallocated? or hfs? in its previous existence.

4) The text installer bombs out under Mount Points" if you have an external
scsi zip drive *without* a zip disk in it (it seems to scan for all possible
partitions and does not like empty scsi zip drives).

5) On systems with lots of drives (both scsi and ata) ybin did not correctly
identify the MacOS partition so /etc/yaboot.conf was wrong and I could not
get back into MacOS without editing it. Perhaps a simple menu based override?
(my Mac OS is on my first ata drive when I used scsi for all of my linux
partions and the bootloader partition).

6) The XF86Config-4 was not correct for my system (wrong mode lines)
Luckily I kept a copy of my previous XF86Config and was able to use it to set
the proper mode lines (B+W rev2 G3 with Apple Studio 17 monitor and
AtyRage128)

All in all, a very nice job!

Thanks,

Kevin