Re: video drivers? (solved, kind of)

Subject: Re: video drivers? (solved, kind of)
From: Mari Masuda (mari@SDF.lonestar.org)
Date: Sun Jul 01 2001 - 23:04:46 MDT

On Sat, 30 Jun 2001, Iain Stevenson wrote:

> Maybe you should build the latest XFree86 4.1 - it's better for me
> (9600/200, Rage Orion) than earlier versions. First check whether your
> video card is supported on the XFree86 web site here:
>
> http://xfree86.org/4.1.0/Status.html
>
> The build is fairly straightforward but you need to make sure X is
> configured to build the device driver you need. I posted my experience to
> the list.
>
> Iain

I think I've gotten the ATI drivers to load, although I ended up not
upgrading to XFree86 4.1. I kept getting the following error message
under XF86 4.1, even though the "Screen" section of the XFree86Config-4
file was the same as it was before I upgraded:

(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a useable configuration.
Fatal server error:
no screens found

Anyway, I believe I have the ATI driver working on my Bronze Powerbook
(ATI 3D Rage LT video card - Mach64 based) based on the XF86 log file, but
video performance still isn't as good as it is under MacOS. To get the
driver working here is what I did:

1) Clean install of YDL 2.0
2) add the following line to /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config/host.def
        #define XF86CardDrivers ati
3) in the "Device" section of /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
        change: Driver "fbdev"
        to: Driver "ati"

--
Mari Masuda                             \     /
mari@sdf.lonestar.org           .________\(O)/________.