Re: network configurator static settings vs. DHCP

Subject: Re: network configurator static settings vs. DHCP
From: perry phillips (pm_perry@pacbell.net)
Date: Mon Jul 02 2001 - 01:31:22 MDT

Hi Ted,

You're really working on this! It's getting to be late. ...that
site in Australia, pretty cool, btw.

First off, by the description of your DHCP (dynamic host
configuration protocol) server, it assigns info to your client
computers. Which means you would run a "client daemon" that
automatically downloads its network config info from the DHCP server.
(But that doesn't seem to be an easy option in Network Configurator.)

Assume we try to configure this using Network Configurator:

This webramp +is+ acting as a router effectively.

The HOST IP address would be 127.0.0.1, this is called a "loopback
interface" and allows that machine to send and receive mail to
itself. I would take out the router/modem/DHCP's address from the
HOST IP panel.

[terminal commands to do this logged in as root from a terminal window:
ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
route add -net 127.0.0.0
Don't ask me why...]

OKAY--assuming you've got Network Configurator running. It is very
straight forward for +static+ configuration:

NAMES: hostname (linuxpowerbook or whatever); domain: ppclinuxnet or whatever
HOSTS: 127.0.0.1 (name) linuxpowerbook (nicknames) linuxpowerbook
localhost.localdomain
INTERFACE:
lo 127.0.0.1 (proto) none (atboot) yes (active) active
ethX 192.168.1.X (proto) static ? or dhcp? -try static (atboot) yes
(active) active
try X = 9 for a simple test.

ROUTING: default gateway 192.168.1.1 (or whatever your DHCP server's
IP address is!)
Default Gateway Device: (BLANK)
All sub-categories under Routing are BLANK.

Now, since you have a DHCP server acting as router, I don't know if
you can statically configure your settings like this. If you are
going to guess, try eth9, and IP Interface address of 192.168.1.9.
If you can't get away with that, then you +do+ need to let your
Webramp assign values dynamically. It's not clear to me how to do
that in Network Configurator. Perhaps by leaving Interfaces blank and
putting Webramps IP address in as the Default Gateway Device (?)
&/or changing proto to "dhcp"? Try configuring it as I have outlined
statically; if that doesn't work, try that last suggestion(s). If
that doesn't work, either try linuxconfig or another program which
will allow DHCP configuration (should be a simple, a no-more-to-do
option).

BTW--If you have the ability to install linuxconf, it is, I think, a
good networking/config interface.
http://www.solucorp.qc.ca/linuxconf/ Someone on the YDL list said
it might be on the "Tasty Morsels" CD.

I'm sending this cc to the YDL list cause someone else may have used
DHCP on the Linux side and I haven't.

regards,
perry phillips
------------------

>> > --part 2-- not sending this to the whole list....
>>
>>Interface IP Proto Atboot Active
>>
>>lo 127.0.0.1 none yes active
>>eth0 192.168.1.2 static yes active
>>
>>again, this is for a server/router set up and you might just be using
>>the gateway & IP address from your ISP ....
>>
>>regards,
>>perry
>
>I assume here that you are talking about "Network Configurator"

hmm, okay I