Re: YDL vs. MacOS X

Subject: Re: YDL vs. MacOS X
From: Chris Ruprecht (chrup999@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jul 02 2001 - 09:12:48 MDT

Hi John,

well, I think since this is THE YDL discussion list, we should be able to
discuss this and other topics and don't feel bad about it.

I have to admit that I did not spend much time using OS X. I did install it
at one point but found out soon, that it was - in my opinion - the worst
UNIX implementation I had ever seen. Most of the problems, I think, were
related to the graphical desktop and it's need for huge amounts of memory. I
killed it when I noticed that it wants all of my 256 MB physical RAM plus
1.4 GB of swap space.

I did install the development package (gcc + company) but I didn't get to
actually using it. You might want to specify ppc-bsd-something as a machine
type to get g77 to build - this should be close enough. ppc-darwin or
ppc-macosx have little chances of getting recognized at this point, maybe
they add that in into the next release. Personally, I have written only one
Fortran program in my life - the first program I ever wrote on a mainframe -
back in 1979. All it did was to generate a Celsius/Fahrenheit conversion
table ;-).

As to external devices on a PB (G3/G4): AFAIK, neither USB nor FW devices
are supported at this point. This might come in a future release - I think
it _HAS_ to come, since this is the technology Apple is going and people
will have their 500GB disk arrays under their desks. How fast TerraSoft (or
some other volunteer who loves kernel hacking?) can come up with a solution
is something maybe Dan can answer. Dan? Right now, I have not been able to
find a good external FireWire drive. I had 2 Maxtor drives freak out on me
after 2 and 1 days (respectively) of usage. Luckily, my local computer shop
took them back and refunded me the money. What I found is that there are no
true FireWire drives out on the market today. All they are, are IDE drives
with a FireWire adaptor built into the case. This sort of defeats the
object - instead of getting your 400 MBit/sec (and soon 800 MBit/sec), all
you get is your normal IDE/EIDE speed. The maximum I got (while the Maxtor
drives were working) was 150 MBit/sec.

What about expansion bay drives though? I can plug a 48 GB drive in there in
my G3/Pismo - would that work at all?

Best regards,
Chris