Re: YDL vs. MacOS X

Subject: Re: YDL vs. MacOS X
From: Ted Goranson (tedg@infi.net)
Date: Mon Jul 02 2001 - 09:48:30 MDT

>Hi all,
>
>Just a thought: I read a few posts of people trying to run MacOS
>Classic, MacOS X and YDL on the same machine in different
>partitions. My Question is: What's the point?
>If you're running MacOS X, you're already running a UNIX OS which
>gives you most of the tools YDL gives you as well. The stuff you
>don't have under X, you can download and compile yourself.
>I understand that people want to run YDL on their legacy hardware
>which is not supported by OS X or they don't like the new OS and
>want to run some form of UNIX. But running both flavors on the same
>machine just doesn't make sense to me. The argument "because I can"
>just doesn't cut it ;).
>
>I'm running YDL on my Pismo because I want to run UNIX but OS X is
>just too big and too clumsy an OS to run within 256 MB. I might give
>it another try, specially since I ordered a 512 MB SODIMM and I
>guess 768 MB should be sufficient to run OS X (for a few days). But:
>What can I do under OS X, I can not do under YDL 2.0 and vice versa?
>Is there an easy answer to that?

Depends on your work I suppose. In my case:

I have some very elaborate custom macros for the finest word
processor known to man: Nisuswriter. I feed this into Framemaker, by
far the most powerful book software. I do lots of web work using the
absolutely best WYSIWG editor, Freeway, which relies on GX. None of
these work in Classic, (and none has a remotely equal competitor on
Unix) so I need OS 9.1. Some of these programs, possibly all, will
never be carbonized.

I expect to be doing Haskell development. All the available tools can
be set up easily on YDL, but not on OSX (yet) -- stuff like xemacs
and es. X and Aqua have different design goals and for the
foreseeable future I expect X to be more development-friendly, OSX
more media-friendly.

Adobe products like Photoshop, Illustrator and the like. Eudora,
Expression, Flash will soon be at home on OSX. At the professional
level, there is no Linux equivalent, period. A whole new set of apps
(some introducing in two weeks) are cocoa-based, and these things
really make you tingly. Omniweb is the best browser experience I have
ever had. Services, Quartz, OSA are not replicatable on Linux OSs in
the near future. And on the development side, OSX has something that
Linux doesn't: a stateaware accessible microkernel that shows big
promise for a whole new generation of P2P capabilities.

So it looks as if many of us are stuck in a triple-boot world for
some time. I'm even relooking at Virtual PC.

Best, Ted

--
Ted Goranson