Re: YDL vs. MacOS X

Subject: Re: YDL vs. MacOS X
From: A S Hodel (a.s.hodel@Eng.Auburn.EDU)
Date: Mon Jul 02 2001 - 04:05:04 MDT

I also used a tri-boot system for awhile, but I don't think Mac OS X
is ready for prime-time yet,
at least not for the tools (Octave, laTeX) that I use. gcc and its
components cannot (yet)
be downloaded and compiled out of the box. Octave (which I use) will
not yet compile due
to a bug with implicit c++ templates, which is being worked on from
the gcc side (I think).

For f2c, you can use the fink package (available from sourceforge).
A lot of free software
can be installed using fink, but that's a work in progress, and so
I'd recommend that developers
spend their time there.

Mac OS X holds a great deal of promise, but if you're trying to get
work done, YDL still looks like the
way to go, at least on my desk.

--
A. S. Hodel 200 Broun Hall Dept. Elect. & Comp. Eng., Auburn Univ. AL
36849-5201