Re: YDL vs. MacOS X

Subject: Re: YDL vs. MacOS X
From: andu (undo@cloud9.net)
Date: Mon Jul 02 2001 - 12:39:30 MDT

A S Hodel wrote:

> I also used a tri-boot system for awhile, but I don't think Mac OS X
> is ready for prime-time yet,
> at least not for the tools (Octave, laTeX) that I use. gcc and its
> components cannot (yet)
> be downloaded and compiled out of the box. Octave (which I use) will
> not yet compile due
> to a bug with implicit c++ templates, which is being worked on from
> the gcc side (I think).
>
> For f2c, you can use the fink package (available from sourceforge).
> A lot of free software
> can be installed using fink, but that's a work in progress, and so
> I'd recommend that developers
> spend their time there.
>
> Mac OS X holds a great deal of promise, but if you're trying to get
> work done, YDL still looks like the
> way to go, at least on my desk.

I didn't bother with OS X yet but knowledgeable sources told me it's way
more buggy then acknowledged, not to mention that important files
corruption can occur, to which the only fix is a reinstall. YDL is
definitely more mature and stable despite the fact that only "a few good
men" ;-) are behind it. As it was said, OS X is about making UNIX more
Mac like ;-).

Andu