OpenOffice install on YDL 2.0 -- report

Subject: OpenOffice install on YDL 2.0 -- report
From: Stephen Lewis (lewis@napanet.net)
Date: Mon Jul 02 2001 - 14:31:43 MDT

Install report on OpenOffice under YDL 2.0
platform Mac Cube, 15 inch LCD display, Rage128
network Postscript printer, "Everything" install
of YDL 2.0. I proceeded thusly...

# can source pieces of this if you want...
# mount Tasty Morsels CD install 'j2re' and 'openoffice'
# login as root
mount /dev/cdrom
cd /mnt/cdrom/Yello*/ppc
rpm -i j2re-1.3*
# I put my OpenOffice in /opt but you can put it anywhere
cd /opt
tar zxf /mnt/cdrom/open*/oo*gz
cd /opt/installer_627
./setup
# it offers to install in your home directory - ugh!
# I put mine in /opt/openoffice60
# it *should* find jre in /usr/lib/jre, if not browse...
# I leave program and share readonly and set user to 'your_name_here'
chown --recursive your_name_here /opt/openofficd60/user
# One little "Gotcha" - installer put '.sversionrc'
# in your home directory -- since you were root at the time
# it went into /root, so copy it into your home directory
cp /root/.sversionrc /home/your_name_here
# now logout and login as 'your_name_here'
# now you *should* be able to run OpenOffice by typing:
/opt/openoffice60/soffice
# it will start with no printer - so far so good...
# Here is how to get Xprint working on YDL 2.0
# login as root...
# first make at least one printer with 'printtool'
# mine is called 'laser', test it
date | lp -P laser
# make default location for Xprinters file
mkdir /etc/X11/xserver/C{,/print}
# make a minimal Xprinters file naming this printer
cd /etc/X11/xserver/C/print
# CARE - next six lines are one command!
cat > Xprinters <<***EOF***
# List printers to be managed by Xprt
Augment_Printer_List %none%
# this is the one that will be found by OpenOffice
Printer laser
***EOF***
# now you can start the Xprint server as screen 1
Xprt :1 &
# now logout and login as 'your_name_here'
/opt/openoffice60/soffice
# should be no error message, choose File->Print
# should see name of your printer
# BUGS on my system...
# Postscript output is truncated at 4096 characters
# When Xprt is running OpenOffice font are messed up
# OK thats as far as I got - Good luck.

Further reading:
http://printing.openoffice.org/xprint.html
/usr/share/doc/XFree86-doc-4.0.2/Xserver/Xprt.PS.gz
http://penguinppc.org/usr/oo.shtml
install the source to Xprt from YDL CD and look in
/usr/src/rpm/BUILD/XFree86-4.0.2/xc/programs/Xserver/XpConfig/README
if you want to start/stop Xprt automatically
fetch 'xprt.sh' from http://printing.openoffice.org/xprt.sh
and use
./xprt.sh start -xprtdir=/usr/bin/X11

Stephen Lewis