more newbie questions

Subject: more newbie questions
From: Mari Masuda (mari@SDF.lonestar.org)
Date: Mon Jul 02 2001 - 20:04:58 MDT

I have a couple of newbie questions that I'm hoping someone can help me
with:

1) I am using YDL 2.0 on a Bronze Powerbook. In MacOS there is a keyboard
preference so that the function keys (F1, F2, F3, etc.) are the default
instead of having to hold down the "fn" key at the same time. Can I set
up the same behavior in Linux? Using F12 to emulate the right mouse
button is kind of a pain when the two keys used for this behavior are
located as far apart as physically possible on the keyboard.

2) I am using KMail to receive email via POP3. Before I installed YDL I
used to telnet/ssh into my provider and read my mail via pine. My
provider does not allow people to use their mail server as an SMTP host in
order to prevent spammers from using it. I noticed that KMail has a "use
sendmail" option to send outgoing mail, which I would like to use; I just
want to be able to send mail out to the internet from my local machine,
which is connected to the internet over a DSL line (non-static IP). I do
not need to be able to receive mail locally. Can someone give me a
general idea of what I need to set up in order for this to work?

Thanks!

Mari

--
Mari Masuda                             \     /
mari@sdf.lonestar.org           .________\(O)/________.