Re: Wheres the yaboot?

Subject: Re: Wheres the yaboot?
From: perry phillips (pm_perry@pacbell.net)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 01:04:31 MDT

Hi BX,

... I'm confused... so you got to the end of the YDL install and when asked if
you wanted the bootloader installed you said "yes"?

Assuming that was the case, then when you reboot your mac, you should see a
very simple screen where you have the choice "m" for mac; "l" for linux ....if
you don't get those options at restart, then I assume that the bootloader is
not working or you chose not to install it?

Try restarting your computer holding down the option key. If you don't have
linux option (and a macos option and possibly others) to boot to, then you
didn't successfully install the yaboot bootloader or it is not working.

Using a Mac OS cd you might have created a Mac HFS or HFS+ partition for Mac
stuff? Then, the rest should have been "unallocated"... was that your
preparation before the YDL install?

If so, then from the +unallocated+ space, you would have divided your drive
into several linux partitions: boot, swap, and ext2? Is that how it went?

The boot partition is on the linux side and it does interact with Open Firmware
(mac bios), but yaboot doesn't work like champion server where there is some
file on your Mac partition. Files critical to booting linux should be in /boot
and /etc.

Hope this helps,
perry phillips