Re: Wheres the yaboot?

Subject: Re: Wheres the yaboot?
From: BX (Bitch_Trix@mac.com)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 04:31:09 MDT

At 00:04 -0700 07/03/01, perry phillips wrote:

>Hi BX,
>
>... I'm confused... so you got to the end of the YDL install and when asked if
>you wanted the bootloader installed you said "yes"?

Yes, pretty sure on the first try, double checked on every subsequent
reformat/install.

>Assuming that was the case, then when you reboot your mac, you should see a
>very simple screen where you have the choice "m" for mac; "l" for linux ....if
>you don't get those options at restart, then I assume that the bootloader is
>not working or you chose not to install it?

Told to install, but no joy.

>Try restarting your computer holding down the option key. If you don't have
>linux option (and a macos option and possibly others) to boot to, then you
>didn't successfully install the yaboot bootloader or it is not working.

Will try this trick next i guess, if my fears expressed at the end of
my reply to Ted Goranson come true.

>Using a Mac OS cd you might have created a Mac HFS or HFS+ partition for Mac
>stuff? Then, the rest should have been "unallocated"... was that your
>preparation before the YDL install?

Formatted the 20 Gig drive into a 1 gig Mac OS standard hfs, the rest
as unallocated.

>If so, then from the +unallocated+ space, you would have divided your drive
>into several linux partitions: boot, swap, and ext2? Is that how it went?

Yup, made many ext2 partitions too, since i had space to spare.

>The boot partition is on the linux side and it does interact with
>Open Firmware
>(mac bios), but yaboot doesn't work like champion server where there is some
>file on your Mac partition. Files critical to booting linux should
>be in /boot
>and /etc.
>
>Hope this helps,

Well, it confirmed I was doing things right for the most part. If you
see my reply to Ted Goranson then it might clarify the problem. Seems
the Open Firmware chooses to ignore whatever the bootloader is
supposed to do in a multiple drive setup. After I got it to work with
just the drive I set up and the rest disconnected, like its supposed
too, when I added the other drives back in, it just went right to
booting to the Mac OS. I am going to try to see if disconnecting them
will make it come back to life.

My question now, if it does not, how can i get it to boot back to
YDL, and If it does work, will i have to unhook the other drives
every time I want to run YDL...

Stupid Open Firmware - hehe - I would gladly pay money if anyone can
come up with a "BootX" that will work on a New World ROM mac...

Thanks for your input and effort!

--
BX