Re: Language Paradigms (was RTFM Resources Wanted)

Subject: Re: Language Paradigms (was RTFM Resources Wanted)
From: Michael Tucker (mtucker@eecs.harvard.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 06:46:18 MDT

> People started talking about Object Orientation back in the Early 80's and
> maybe earlier. It took at least 10 years for the concept to become
> mainstream. At first it was hyped as "The solution to all our problems" Now
> its just another piece of the toolset. I expect something similar will
> happen with functional programming. Perhaps it too will build on every
> previous method.

Hi,

  Not to be nit-picky, but hasn't functional programming been around for
over 40 years? If my history is right, didn't John McCarthy introduce
LISP1 in the late 50s? I think functional programming has certainly found
its niche, but I'm personally not particularly surprised that it does not
have widespread acceptance in the non-academic community the way
C/C++/Java do. But who knows.... maybe the masses will rise up and support
functional programming over the coming decades :)

Mike