Kernel Memory Management

Subject: Kernel Memory Management
From: Chris Ruprecht (chrup999@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 07:26:14 MDT

Dear Kernel Developers,

I have Linux installed on a 256 MB Machine. Initially, when it starts up, it uses about 40 MB of RAM, no swap space. Soon after startup, it uses up all available memory, mainly as 'Shared", "Buff" or "Cached" memory (according to 'top'). It also uses a little bit of swap space, in the region of 8 MB or so.
Now, I increased the systems memory to 768 MB but the behavior is still the same, except that the chunks of shared, buff and cached are getting bigger.
It doesn't really bother me, the swapped out stuff is probably stuff the system never uses anyway (such as the NFS stuff, which I do start up but never use [I should really go and clean out my rc.d directory, I know]). I would just like to know how the system allocated the memory, based on what does it decide what has to go into cache or a buffer ...

Best regards,
Chris