Re: more newbie questions

Subject: Re: more newbie questions
From: Eric Woods (woodse@alum.rpi.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 08:04:25 MDT

At 10:04 PM 7/2/2001, Mari Masuda wrote:
>1) I am using YDL 2.0 on a Bronze Powerbook. In MacOS there is a keyboard
>preference so that the function keys (F1, F2, F3, etc.) are the default
>instead of having to hold down the "fn" key at the same time. Can I set
>up the same behavior in Linux? Using F12 to emulate the right mouse
>button is kind of a pain when the two keys used for this behavior are
>located as far apart as physically possible on the keyboard.

There's a short help page for changing mouse button emulation keys at the
YDL site. If you follow that and have success, try reading the man pages
for the commands described. You should be able to do something interesting
with the function keys using those same tools. Here's the URL:

   http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/mouseemu.shtml

>2) I am using KMail to receive email via POP3. Before I installed YDL I
>used to telnet/ssh into my provider and read my mail via pine. My
>provider does not allow people to use their mail server as an SMTP host in
>order to prevent spammers from using it. I noticed that KMail has a "use
>sendmail" option to send outgoing mail, which I would like to use; I just
>want to be able to send mail out to the internet from my local machine,
>which is connected to the internet over a DSL line (non-static IP). I do
>not need to be able to receive mail locally. Can someone give me a
>general idea of what I need to set up in order for this to work?

It really looks like this is just a terminology confusion. From what I
see, all you want to do is use an email program on your local computer,
which happens to be running linux. No problem -- it's the same as if you
were trying to get email on Windows or MacOS. All you need to get from the
ISP is the POP account info (you already have that), the POP mail server
(it sounds like you might already have this), and the SMTP server (which
you might already know). I'm almost certain from your description that you
don't want to be using sendmail. All you want is to use KMail to send mail
via your ISP account. So, use the SMTP option in KMail and set the server
to the one the ISP provides. If you call them up, don't bother telling
them what kind of system you are running, just ask them for the POP mail
and SMTP servers so that you can set up your email program. They should
have no qualms about providing this info -- it should be part of their service.

By the way, who's the ISP?

         - Eric