Re: RPM Ignorance

Subject: Re: RPM Ignorance
From: Eric Woods (woodse@alum.rpi.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 08:15:30 MDT

At 08:48 PM 7/2/2001, Ted Goranson wrote:
>Still setting up... But learning.
>
>My current goal is to install xemacs. I downloaded the rpms from
>xemacs.org into desktop. went to command line rpm blahabla. Didn't work.

The package that you want may already be on the Yellow Dog install
disc. Certainly there's an emacs for X. It isn't installed by default
(silly people!).

The easiest way to get to it is to mount the install CD and then use the
Package Manager tool (System menu). In the Settings menu (in the PM),
you'll need to show it where to find the uninstalled RPM packages on the CD
(namely, file:/mnt/cdrom/YellowDog/RMPS/ -- and select SubDirs). Once you
do that it will scan the disc (time consuming) and you should find
"emacs-X11 20.7-17b" under Applications/Editors (in the "New"
tab). Install it!

         - Eric