Problems configuring an Appletalk Printer w/ YDL 2.0 (newbie)

Subject: Problems configuring an Appletalk Printer w/ YDL 2.0 (newbie)
From: John Fuller (johnfuller@usa.com)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 08:41:00 MDT

Folks,

I am new at this (very) and have tried to find an answer through the
archives and online but can't. I hate asking stupid questions and this one
might be but here goes:

I loaded YDL 2.0 on my G4-400. I am running a small AppleTalk network at
home to share printers with other Macs. I am not running TCP/IP on the
network. The printer is a Laserwriter Pro 630. There is a 3COM hub between
the Mac and the printer. I loaded YDL on an external SCSI drive (so I could
shut it off if I needed too . .. OK so I am cautious!) That is pretty much
the system . . . . other iMacs and iBooks around the house if that is
pertinent.

I ran printtool and configured the printer as an lp
I accepted the default on the spool location
File limit at 0
Left the port blank
Input filter I selected Postscript

Nothing. No activity lights on the hub so it isn't even trying.

I am not sure either AppleTalk OR Ethernet is running and I can't find
anywhere how to tell. I do see eth0 loading in startup and it sees the media
as TP (which I assume is twisted pair) with no noticeable errors after that.
I see nothing about netatalk loading but that might scroll by too quickly.

My questions are:

How do I know these are working (AppleTalk and Ethernet)?
Is it possible to print directly to an AppleTalk printer without TCP/IP on
the network?

Any help would be appreciated. I have been a lurker on the list for several
months and found this group very helpful. I hope you can here too.

Thanks

John

PS: I recently changed jobs (and addresses) and my new provider seems to be
giving me grief on the digest mail . . . if you have a thought on this,
please send me a direct as well. Sorry.