sendmail - further explanation

Subject: sendmail - further explanation
From: Mari Masuda (mari@SDF.lonestar.org)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 10:23:12 MDT

Hi everyone,

Just a clarification on why I want to set up sendmail on my computer: I
have a free shell account at freeshell.org that I use for email and web
hosting. I've just been using ssh and pine to get my mail from MacOS (I
like pine and I especially like the one-time lifetime membership fee of
$36), but now I have YDL2.0 installed as well. freeshell.org does not
allow remote SMTP connections in an attempt to prevent spammers from using
their servers, so in order to send email I need to telnet/ssh into
freeshell.org and use pine (or whatever). freeshell.org does allow POP3
clients to retrieve mail, though, so I've started using KMail to read my
mail. Since freeshell.org doesn't allow remote SMTP requests I can't use
the SMTP option to send mail from within KMail, and it is kind of a pain
to have to ssh to freeshell in order to send mail. I'd like to get
sendmail running so I can send mail from within KMail and not have to ssh
into freeshell.org.

From what I've gathered so far, sendmail is somewhat complicated to
configure and a better alternative is something called qmail. I am pretty
sure that with good documentation I can figure out how to configure
sendmail/qmail (although I'm not sure KMail will work with qmail), but I
don't really know how to "start" sendmail/qmail. I would think one would
have to have it running constantly in the backgound and that it needs to
be launched by root, but I am not entirely sure how to do that. Typing
'/usr/sbin/sendmail' appears to get something started - the prompt does
not reappear after I hit return - but I am not sure if that is the proper
way to have something running "in the background".

A somewhat related question is: why do I need to type '/usr/sbin/sendmail'
to get something to happen - am I missing an alias or something so that
just typing 'sendmail' does something?

Thanks,
Mari

--
Mari Masuda                             \     /
mari@sdf.lonestar.org           .________\(O)/________.