Re: Wheres the yaboot?

Subject: Re: Wheres the yaboot?
From: John Canning (john@pcc.com )
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 11:29:35 MDT

On Tue Jul 3 05:35:57 2001 BX wrote:

> I wish there was a bootX that would work on the new world rom macs...
> would fix it easy...

There is a very easy way to fix your problem. The BootX style
program you are looking for is called Open Firmware. You just
need to learn a few of the commands to get it to do what you want.

First, you can boot into Open Firmware by holding down the
option-command-O-F keys while the system is rebooting.

Once in Open Firmware, you can issue the boot command to tell
it to boot from a specific partition on one of your hard drives.

You can also use the setenv command to make Open Firmware boot
from a specific parition every time your system reboots. That
will work until you change the "Startup Device" under Mac OS X;
for some reason, this command reprograms Open Firmware's memory.

In a moment, I will list the commands I use for my PowerBook (pismo).
In your previous messages, you indicate that you have several hard
drives connected to your machine, so you may have to issue slightly
different commands.

Here goes:

    To boot yaboot, which is installed on partition 10 of my
    internal hard drive, I issue the command:

            boot hd:10,yaboot

    To reset my boot device so that my PowerBook will always
    boot with yaboot, I usse the commands:

        setenv boot-device hd:10,ofboot.b
        reset-all

You can learn lots more about Open Firmware by visiting Apple's
Tech Info Library.

John