Re: YDL vs. MacOS X

Subject: Re: YDL vs. MacOS X
From: Elliott (kilowatt@cinci.rr.com)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 20:28:34 MDT

What's the point? The point is that you can. Sure, its not practical for
a *server* class computer to dual or triple boot, but if you are a poor
guy with a power mac, you might as well get as much out of it as you
can. Mac OS X is a wonderful operating system. http://www.macosx.com is
a great place to get answers to questions about it. I can do almost
anything under Mac OS X I could do under YDL. But what I could do under
ydl was quite limited. For example, I couldn't get any ethernet cards to
work. (refer to my old posts "ethernet pain".) And getting two monitors
working as a multi-head system seamed impossible. Not to mention my usb
mouse and firewire cd burner, scanner, video i/o, etc etc.

So, you see, Mac OS X is in some ways, the 'easy unix'. YDL is powerful
and robust, but not nearly as easy or supported as mac os x. Getting
multiple ethernet cards up and running was no problem. USB anything
works. Firewire is working (for most devices, extended support is
expected in 10.1.0). And the classic environment lets me run almost
everything I want to (except maybe some old-school webservers and such,
but there really isn't any need to do that).

And OS9 is just darn classic. Its elegant. And compatible with all the
legacy stuff that ydl doesn't support with out a headache or kernel
panic. Sure, it sucks performance-wise, but its compatible, and lots of
people are simply used to it.

Heck, for most people, they will never realize that macosx even has
tcsh, let alone the mach kernel.

I have XF86 4.0.1, I think, running on my G3 with Mac OS X. And people
are working on a 'root-less' version that will co-exist with aqua. With
OS X, you can even get the gimp to work. And a version of Blender
(popular 3d software) is expected. OS X supports Quicktime, which ydl
doesn't really support. As well as Mia (I can't spell it, but its a cool
3d design program under winblows nt and I think irix). Also, OS X has a
lot of industry-support, where as ydl is more of a hack-to-make-work-os.

Not to put YDL down. I mean, I work with my dad on the old Delorean all
the time, and I love it. Even though it has its problems, and things
are.. well... expect the unexpected, I enjoy it. And that Delorean with
a 300+ hp GM engine woops up on inferior cars when properly tuned.

And ydl is a wonderful system. And its not old or outdated. And it is
powerful. Its more practical as a server in many ways.

As you all can see, I'm a bit disorganized in my thought process, but I
hope that you can all see how Mac OS X, Mac OS 9, and YDL are extremely
cool, and they all have their own strengths.

As for windows, windows is simply a flawed product that gets closer and
closer with every release to becoming what it originally should have
been. And what it should be isn't that great anyway. Too bad its so
popular (unless you are in the tech support field, hehe)