Re: Wheres the yaboot?

Subject: Re: Wheres the yaboot?
From: Patrick Callahan (pac1@tiac.net)
Date: Wed Jul 04 2001 - 08:41:01 MDT

On Tuesday 03 July 2001 14:01, you wrote:

> I don't understand why you created many ext2 partitions instead of choosing
> "MAX" for the one ext2 partition as advised?

Here's a partial list of the partitions I've "collected" over the
last two years of using linux:

256 mb /hdf8/home ext2 partition
        This partition never gets deleted or re-initialized.
        It contains my user directory and survives a re-install.
        I put a few vital files in /home/etc and after a reinstall
        copy them to the real /etc

4 gb sda8 /downloads ext2 partition
        This one is strictly for things I download.
        A month before YDL2.0 was out, I downloaded a copy of
        all the packages in YDL2.0 and got them running.
        I also did KDE 2.0, Quanta (html editor), Python 2
        and am working on wxGTK 2.3.0 right now.
        Ybin 1.0 resides in /downloads

8 gb hda10 mounts as / or hda10
        This one contains YDL 2.0 as installed from the download
        (Support YDL buy the CD)
10 gb hda11 mounts as / or hda11
        This one is YDL 2.0 as installed from the CD
        Its my working installation at the moment.
10 gb hda12 is not even initalized Maybe I'll put MacOSX on it
        Maybe not. Anyone want to buy a MacOS X disk

I've also got a scsi drive of a 2930-U board (vendor is apple not adaptec
although adaptec actually manufactured the board.) It works ok too and has a
bunch of partitions with old stuff on it.

256 mb hda7 /exchange hfs
        This one is for transporting files between linux and macos.
        As if there were a need to do this....

30 mb hda8 /boot1 hfs partition
30 mb hda9 /boot2 hfs partition

Right now I'm booting with hda9
I can experiment with new versions in hda8 if I ever need to.

Somewhere there's a partition with MacOS 8.5 on it. Haven't seen it lately.
It's out there somewhere....

-Pat

P.S. You may have noticed that /home is on hdf8. Here's the whole story:

The /home partition is on the original 6gb eide drive that came
with my Blue G3 rev 1. This drive is all I had when I first started
running linux and /home has been around since then.

After upgrading to a 30gb drive for $149, I stuck the drive in the Blue G3's
zip drive enclosure which is located just under the DVD/CDROM drive and
connected the drive as a slave to the DVD/CDROM.
That's how it came to land on /hdf8.

Is it slow? probably is. I haven't noticed as I use /home only for e-mail.
Who cares. Apple would probably not support putting an eide drive in the
zip drive enclosure. This version of the G3 Mac officially supported exactly
1 eide drive and 1 CD or DVD/CD drive. Even though the specs say there are
two separate EIDE channels. Apple never told us that up front. Its buried
in a tech note somewhere. I really enjoyed the fact that I paid a premium
price for apple hardware and the eide support was so hobbled. Maybe us Blue
G3 rev1 owners should do a class action suit to get our machines upgraded.

Anyway, there it sits. It works. Nothing bad has happened yet. The front
of the drive feels warm to the touch but not particularly hot so the heat
factor is probably not an issue, at least for a drive that's idle most of the
time. There may be other things going on that I don't know about so YMMV.

When I get around to it I'll move /home to a larger partition on a faster
drive. Or maybe I'll pick up one of those new sonnet 100mb EIDE cards and
get a 60GB maxtor drive. Who knows when you're going to need another empty
partition right?

;-)