Re: Kernel Memory Management

Subject: Re: Kernel Memory Management
From: Chris Ruprecht (chrup999@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jul 05 2001 - 09:46:04 MDT

Hi Robert,

I wasn't worried that I'd run out of 'good stuff', specially not with 768 MB
of physical and 1 GB of virtual memory. I was just wondering how the kernel
decides what to and what not to cache/buffer/share. I could go and read the
kernel source code (and spend the next 4 weeks doing so and the following 4
months in some asylum :), but there must be an easier way to figure this
out. I'm sure, someone, somewhere, has an answer which could be put into a
line or two or three.

Also, I have the same memory configuration on my Pismo as I have on a RedHat
Box (768 MB). The Pismo reports a total of 707000KB, the RedHat box reports
776000 KB (rounded figures). I'm wondering what happened to the 69000 KB in
the Mac ... the Kernel can't be THAT big ;).

Best regards,
Chris