Re: Kernel compiling

Subject: Re: Kernel compiling
From: John Canning (john@pcc.com )
Date: Thu Jul 05 2001 - 19:31:01 MDT

On Thu Jul 5 19:22:25 2001 Jason Gan wrote:

> Why do they issue sources that don't compile?
> In this case, it's an .o file, so it doesn't even link properly, let alone
> compile.

The C compiler under Linux is a very powerful tool. As such, you can
pass it a host of different options that will make it act different
ways and follow different sets of rules for C programming (there's ANSI
C, there's the original K&R C, etc.). You can also tell it to compile
code for different types of CPUs. On top of all of this, there are
also different versions of the compiler, which also followed different
rules.

The fact that it can act very differently can result in some strange
events, such as the trouble you are having.

I'm sorry I can't tell you the magic fix.

John