Re: install problem

Subject: Re: install problem
art-ydl-general@pigdogs.org
Date: Fri Jul 06 2001 - 15:45:51 MDT

This same thing happened to me, and YDL said it was a bad disk
and they sent me another. And then it happened again.

[It seems so completely unlikely that a hard error in stamping a
 CD could cause this sort of error, but I figured I'd give it a
 try.]

The real problem seems to be that the installer is fundamentally
braindead when it comes to installing 2.0 over anything other than
an absolutely wiped-clean disk.

What I had to do was reformat the entire disk, and then resinstall.
Since I was installing on a powerbook, which I want to dual-boot, this
meant backing up the mac partition, wiping it too, and then restoring.

Once I had spent almost all day one Sunday doing this, the
installation went reasonably well, and the system is working great.
But it appears that YDL did only the most minimal amount of testing of
their installer on not many machines or configurations. And gave no
thought at all to error recovery. I hope this is addressed in 2.1.

--art

   From: erick curtis (erick_curtis1234@yahoo.com)
   Date: Wed Jul 04 2001 - 20:50:46 MDT

   This same thing happened with my gigabit dual g4. Ydl
   said i had a bad cd and sent me a new one. Get a new
   cd.

   Erick Curtis