Re: installation buglets

Subject: Re: installation buglets
From: LF Coyote (Bitch_Trix@mac.com)
Date: Fri Jul 06 2001 - 18:04:03 MDT

At 14:58 -0700 07/06/01, art-ydl-general@pigdogs.org wrote:

> . Using the "custom" install option, and starting "install packages",
> there is no <cancel> option. So if you have already installed a
> set of packages, and just for laughs try it again to see what happens,
> what happens is this: the package installer spends about five minutes
> comparing the list of previously installed packages with the
> packages on the cd. Then it tells you that each package is already
> installed. -Each- package. Hundreds of them, each requiring a mouse
> click on the <ok> button. Hundreds of mouse clicks. And then, right
> when you get to the last one, the machine freezes and must be
> powercycled.

Ouch, I thought it was just me that it was happening too, heh - try
clicking them all thru a everything install you did before - then to
have it lock up....

>You'll want to remember not to do this. Again, the installer seems to
>behave very badly whenever it is doing any sort of re-installation.

Wonder how it behaves if you opt to do the standard text install in
this situation.

What I want to know is what good is the part that "saves your
selections" or something like that.. where is this saved? whats it
used for? if its what i think it is, how do you access it to cut time
out on a reinstall... well, the re-installs are not going so well
with the new install interface, but its a neat interface, and with a
some tweaking, it should be good.

>On the plus side though, sound, sleep, and the CD are all working on
>my powerbook now, which makes the whole 2.0 upgrade effort completely
>worthwhile !

And it also works with my 3 Com hub now. YDL 1.2.1 would always fail
on initializing the eth0 if i had it running thru the 3 Com. After
taking the hub out, and direct connecting, i had connectivity. Never
could figure that one out, but at least with YDL 2, it sees it and
connects. 8-)

--
LF Coyote - BX
--
  |/ """ \?             A simple pattern of Black and White?
  //,\ /,\\    Within you can find images, reflections, maybe balance.
  \  |_|  /  We walk a risky path: alone, yet not: whole, But fractured.
     `='      Sometimes the wolves are silent and the moon is howling.