Re: bad cd? (also Re:install problems)

Subject: Re: bad cd? (also Re:install problems)
From: Jesse McCrosky (mccrosky@ualberta.ca)
Date: Sat Jul 07 2001 - 12:34:57 MDT

I think I have figured out what is actually going on with the error i
reported in my "install problems" message. It actually is a bad cd in a
sense. If you burn the cd with certain software, several changes are
made to filenames including truncation, conversion to upper case, and
conversion of '-' and '.' to '_'. The Read-only file system error
python was reporting was misleading. Upon investigation of the file it
refers to (get at a shell in the installer using opt-ctr-f2) it appears
to be a symlink that is invalid due to these filename changes.

Since I don't have any software that'll properly burn the image I'm
going to try putting the iso file on a dvd-ram and then mounting the iso
under the installer. If anyone has a better idea, let me know...

        jesse