Re: To upgrade or not to upgrade?

Subject: Re: To upgrade or not to upgrade?
From: Donovan Warren (aramis_@Bacil.DYNDNS.ORG)
Date: Sun Jul 08 2001 - 09:45:21 MDT

On Sunday 08 July 2001 12:40, Matthew 'Fringe' Duhan is purported to have
said:

> >AFAIK, YDL won't run on a 6100 ... the supported systems list only lists
> > PCI machines, and the 6100 is on the "known not to work" list.
>
> I know for a fact that YDL runs on a 6100, as I am doing so, along with a
> few others, thanks to the wonderful work of Takashi Oe. You can find
> information and kernels at
> http://nubus-pmac.sourceforge.net/
> So again I ask, what benefits will I get if I upgrade to YDL 2.0 from
> 1.2.1? Is it worth it to do so?

If you're running 2.0 on your 6100 now, why even ask if upgrading is worth it?

According to Terrasoft's site:

"What hardware will simply NOT work with Yellow Dog Linux?
- Power Macintosh 6100, 7100, 8100
- WGS 6150, 8150, 9150
- The PowerBook 1400, 2300, and 5300
- Any Performa 52xx, 53xx, 61xx, 62xx, and63xx.
- The 6360 is the only exception -- it will
boot the Linux kernel

Will a G3 upgade for my 6100/7100/8100 work with
YDL?
Unfortunately, the answer is no. The PowerPC
Linux kernel requires a PCI bus-based architecture and will not
work with the older NuBus systems. The G3 or G4
upgrade only enhances the processor, not the system bus (the
manner in which the data is moved across your Mac's board)."