Re: Adaptec SCSI Cards

Subject: Re: Adaptec SCSI Cards
From: John Norair (splinemodel@mac.com)
Date: Sun Jul 08 2001 - 10:55:59 MDT

The only way that you can get an adaptec (or any scsi card) to work with
YDL is to have the card loaded with the Apple OEM firmware. I don't
think the 39160 is capable of running Apple firmware, though if you
bought your mac with this card as an OEM, then look on Apple's TIL for a
new, Apple driver.

I had the same problem with a 2940UW card, and I'm still waiting on a
3.2GB 50pin drive (in the mail) so that I can install Linux on it. I
have a 9GB IBM Ultrastar connected to the Adaptec. Basically, if you
remove the card during the install process and get everything installed
sans-adaptec, I've been told that you can put the card back in and use
it after installation. Apparently, you can even use the U160 drive as a
Linux drive, you just can't boot from it. That is, you can set it up
with UFS, or whatever filesystem you want for YDL, and with the
appropriate driver YDL will mount it.

most of this information was gathered on the pengiunppc site. I
recommend that you take a look at it. Just out of curiosity, what
machine are you running this on?

Have a nice day,
John Norair