Re: To upgrade or not to upgrade?

Subject: Re: To upgrade or not to upgrade?
From: Matthew 'Fringe' Duhan (fringe@shore.net)
Date: Sun Jul 08 2001 - 11:18:36 MDT

On 8 Jul 2001, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
>On 08 Jul 2001 08:45:21 -0700, Donovan Warren wrote:

>> > I know for a fact that YDL runs on a 6100, as I am doing so, along with a
>> > few others, thanks to the wonderful work of Takashi Oe. You can find
>> > information and kernels at
>> > http://nubus-pmac.sourceforge.net/
>> > So again I ask, what benefits will I get if I upgrade to YDL 2.0 from
>> > 1.2.1? Is it worth it to do so?
     ^^^^^^

>> If you're running 2.0 on your 6100 now, why even ask if upgrading is worth it?
>
>Note: he states he is running YDL, he does not specify the version.
>Thus, it can be concluded (based on the fact that he is asking about
>upgrading to 2.0) that he is most likely running an older version.
>
>Jamin W. Collins

Since several people seem to have missed the beginning of the original post,
I'm reprinting it below.

Hi folks. Got a question.
I have an old PowerMac 6100/66, 80 Mb RAM, 4.1 Gb HD running YDL 1.2.1 as my
              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
web/e-mail server. It's not terribly fast, but it does the job, and is fine
for my purposes. I don't run Xwindows or a GUI on it, it's all done from the
command line, and is running well.
Is it worth it for me to upgrade?
I could just upgrade apache, php, etc to the latest versions, as the machine
is tuned now. Or, I could tarball, upgrade to YDL 2.0, reconfigure
everything, etc. This would take more time, and I'd have to tune again. This
is the only machine that I have with Linux, as a production server (unless
anyone wants to donate another one to me as a development server :) so I'd
like to minimize my downtime.
My thinking on this is if it ain't broke, don't fix it, as I'd rather not
have downtime. However, if 2.0 is going to give me great improvements over
1.2.1, I'd rather get the better performance, stability, etc. I do not need
to run the latest and greatest just because it's there, however.
So, what do you think? Do the advantages outweigh the disadvantages of
downtime that I should upgrade, or am I fine where I am? I'm interested to
hear opinions, but facts are better (such as "2.0 will give you an x% speed
boost over 1.2.1"). Thanks!

Sincerely,
Matt
Matthew Duhan fringe@shore.net http://www.shore.net/~fringe
When I want my opinions I'll ask me for them.
WWW, HTML, VR, MOO, HRSFA, TMBG, DNA--any more initials and I'll go insane
I have animal magnetism. When I go outside, squirrels stick to me.