XFree86 Tips

Subject: XFree86 Tips
From: Nate Elkan (nate_elkan@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Jul 08 2001 - 18:23:32 MDT

Heya, since my last post - I've managed to find out a few things.
It's best if you compile your own XFree86 4.1 from xfree86.org.
You just need the 'X410src-1.tgz' if you already have a working 4.0.2
install from YDL 2.
Quit X.
Decompress the file, and go into the 'xc' directory.
(In my case, if needed, apply any patches you need now [radeon support?])
Type 'make World'. Wait a couple of hours.
su to root
Type 'make install'.
type 'startx' or whatever command you use to start Xwindows.

You may get some errors from xinit and such. I can't remember what command I
did to fix this, but I think it's '/sbin/ldconfig'.
If anyone can confirm the last step, please do.. I was doing that at around
4 am and I can't really remember what I did to fix the broken library :)

- Nate