cable modem ethernet connection problems

Subject: cable modem ethernet connection problems
From: aj choren (ajchoren@uwm.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 09 2001 - 11:31:34 MDT

Hello All -

I've tried very hard to follow instructions posted to this list regarding
setting up my ethernet connection, but I just can't get it right. Any help
is greatly appreciated!

Here's my situation:

Pismo 400 connected to a router, that is connected to my cable modem
DHCP is turned OFF on the router - so on the Mac side, I just use a static
IP (and that's what I want on the Linux side)

I can currently ping the router, and my roommate's machine (also connected
to the router), but I cannot seem to get 'outside' -- no web,
mail...nothing!

Here's my setup in netcfg:

Names:
hostname: ydlpowerbook
domain: localdomain

hosts: nothing entered (I tried putting in a loopback address (127.0.0.1)
and generic names, but that didn't seem to do anything)

interfaces:
lo 127.0.0.1 proto: none atboot: yes active: active
eth0 <my IP> proto: none atboot: yes active: active

routing:
default gateway: <my router's IP>

Am I doing something wrong? I know little about networking. I see so much
info out there about configuring DHCP, but not much about static IP
addresses. Thanks for your help in advance!

-AJ

ajchoren@uwm.edu
graphic design student
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee