Re: To upgrade or not to upgrade?

Subject: Re: To upgrade or not to upgrade?
From: Brian Waite (bwaite@cspi.com)
Date: Mon Jul 09 2001 - 13:07:37 MDT

I have to disagree, TSS site is not outdated. In fact, I think they are doing the right thing on this account. The shipping CS 2.0 will not work on these machines. There may be kernels out there that do work on this hardware but the shipping distro does not. More importantly TSS is saying we cannot help you with this hardware. In the true spirit of Linux anyone can find a kernel that works, but if that kernel creates issues TSS support will be little help. Coming from a support background I see how impossible it is to try to support customers without defining a baseline. Basically for a support team to work efficently there has to be a strong lock on what is shipping and what is supported. Without this a support team has to deal with far too many variables and people just doing the wrong thing. A customer who calls up and says " the kernel panics when I do X Y Z and oh I am running a kernel I built myself version 2.4.9pre1 because it works on my hardware", well where does the problem lie. It could very well be in the stock CS 2.0, but it could be in the kernel code, it could be a stray driver that is included, you just can't tell.

Maybe TSS should have a unsupported, but rumored to work area but this can still lead to support problems once you say anything you tend to be responsible for it. I would rather them be conservative on supported hardware than liberal

Sorry for the rant
Brian