Re: To upgrade or not to upgrade?

Subject: Re: To upgrade or not to upgrade?
From: Jamin "W." Collins (jcollins@asgardsrealm.net)
Date: Mon Jul 09 2001 - 14:48:58 MDT

On 09 Jul 2001 15:07:37 -0400, Brian Waite wrote:
> Coming from a support background I see how impossible it is to try to
> support customers without defining a baseline.
This is not always the case. It is easier to support a constrained set
of variables. However, this is not necessary for support to be
provided. I too come from a support background (still am, just
different items).

> Basically for a support team to work efficently there has to be a
> strong lock on what is shipping and what is supported. Without this a
> support team has to deal with far too many variables and people just
> doing the wrong thing.
All this truly allows for is the hiring of less qualified people to do
support.

> A customer who calls up and says " the kernel panics when I do X Y Z
> and oh I am running a kernel I built myself version 2.4.9pre1 because
> it works on my hardware", well where does the problem lie. It could
> very well be in the stock CS 2.0, but it could be in the kernel code,
> it could be a stray driver that is included, you just can't tell.
Sure you can. It's called troubleshooting. Eliminate your variables
one at a time until the problem goes away.

> Maybe TSS should have a unsupported, but rumored to work area but this
> can still lead to support problems once you say anything you tend to
> be responsible for it. I would rather them be conservative on
> supported hardware than liberal
So, you would rather have less of a choice? Don't know about you, but I
came to Linux for choice. Whether they support it or not is a decision
for them to make. However, to list systems as "unsupported", which is
taken by many to mean "doesn't work at all", when they do work is rather
wrong. I have a Starmax system that according to TSS doesn't run YDL
2.0. It installed with no more difficulty than the "supported" systems
that people have struggled with here. None of the problems I've had
with the installation are related to my hardware, but rather a release
that was not thoroughly tested.

Jamin W. Collins