Re: cable modem ethernet connection problems

Subject: Re: cable modem ethernet connection problems
From: perry phillips (pm_perry@pacbell.net)
Date: Mon Jul 09 2001 - 17:18:15 MDT

Hi,

Here's a re-write on networking using KDE Network Configurator. If you are
trying to do this using another program, please specify.

>From Root login, KDE: to configure this using Network Configurator:

You have a router (but it would help to know more about it, IP address for
example--no guessing allowed here).

N.B.: The HOST IP address would be 127.0.0.1, this is called a "loopback
interface" and allows that machine to send and receive mail to itself. No
router/modem/DHCP's address in the HOST IP panel.

OKAY--assuming you've got Network Configurator running. It should be straight
forward for +static+ configuration:

NAMES: hostname (linuxpowerbook or whatever); domain: ppclinuxnet or whatever

HOSTS: 127.0.0.1 (name) linuxpowerbook (nicknames) linuxpowerbook
localhost.localdomain
INTERFACE:
lo 127.0.0.1 (proto) none (atboot) yes (active) active
ethX 192.168.1.Y (proto) static (atboot) yes (active) active
try X = 0, or X =1; Y = 9 for simple tests.

ROUTING: default gateway 192.168.1.1 (or whatever your router's IP address
is!)
Default Gateway Device: (BLANK)
All sub-categories under Routing are BLANK..

(This is an example of a typical server set up, other machines on the LAN
would share the router's default gateway address, but each would have its own
unique IP address.)

regards,
perry phillips

PS--see further notes below

aj choren wrote:

> Hello All -
>
> I've tried very hard to follow instructions posted to this list regarding
> setting up my ethernet connection, but I just can't get it right. Any help
> is greatly appreciated!
>
> Here's my situation:
>
> Pismo 400 connected to a router, that is connected to my cable modem
> DHCP is turned OFF on the router - so on the Mac side, I just use a static
> IP (and that's what I want on the Linux side)

... so you wouldn't want to use the same names or IP addresses for different
machines/ or even different OS partitions. The router address +is+
constant...

> I can currently ping the router, and my roommate's machine (also connected
> to the router), but I cannot seem to get 'outside' -- no web,
> mail...nothing!

i assume you have configured your internet programs correctly after making
networking configuration changes. don't forget DNS numbers (provided by your
ISP) and the subnet mask is usually 255.255.255.0...

> Here's my setup in netcfg:
>
> Names:
> hostname: ydlpowerbook
> domain: localdomain (this doesn't matter, just what you'll see at the
> terminal prompt).

don't forget nicknames:
localhost.localdomain

> hosts: nothing entered (I tried putting in a loopback address (127.0.0.1)
> and generic names, but that didn't seem to do anything)

try what I've outlined. host IP loopback is 127.0.0.1

> interfaces:
> lo 127.0.0.1 proto: none atboot: yes active: active
> eth0 <my IP> --WAIT--

this should not be so vague. What IP address? It should be the IP address
for the MACHINE you are configuring. NOT the IP address given by your ISP
(the "Gateway" IP address is for your router and that info comes from your
ISP), NOT the router address (which should be something like 192.168.1.1), not
the address of the other machines on the LAN (which should be something like
192.168.1.2, 192.168.1.3 etc.)

> proto: none atboot: yes active: active
>
> routing:
> default gateway: <my router's IP>
>
> Am I doing something wrong? I know little about networking. I see so much
> info out there about configuring DHCP, but not much about static IP
> addresses. Thanks for your help in advance!
>
> -AJ

> ajchoren@uwm.edu
> graphic design student
> University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee