7200 install

Subject: 7200 install
From: pete (pete@linuxfreemail.com)
Date: Mon Jul 09 2001 - 17:35:32 MDT

Hi,

I'm a newbie in the Linux world, but I've just successfully completed a YDL
2.0 Base Install on a PowerMac 7200. With its stock 540 MB hard drive, and
not much RAM to work with, it was a bit of a challenge.

I'm posting to offer whatever assistance I can to anyone attempting a
similar installation, while it's still pretty fresh in my memory.

My next step is to try to get it working with miboot instead of BootX. I
suspect I just need to install a new kernel in the system file on the
bootstrap partition; right now, it boots into Linux via miboot, but the
keyboard's keys are all messed up. So I'm going to try putting the kernel
that BootX uses (successfully) into miboot.

If that doesn't work, I'll try burning a basic MacOS CD with BootX on it,
with preferences that point to the proper SCSI device. I'd assume that I can
eject the CD after booting off of it with BootX, since it's only a temporary
system anyway.

I'll also be trying to trim down the RAM pretty severely...at least for the
moment, I've only got 104 MB to split between my MacOS 8600 and the Linux
7200.

Thanks for all who have posted useful tidbits to this list...I wouldn't be
where I am without all your insights. I hope there's someone working on a
similar installation that I can help out.

Bored with lurking,
-Pete