Newbie Help with ProFTPd Config

Subject: Newbie Help with ProFTPd Config
From: Gord Busse (gbusse@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jul 09 2001 - 21:15:03 MDT

Ok I am a newbie to Linux, but not a newbie to computers or running
servers on the Mac OS and NT. I recently purchased YDL 2.0 and am
taking the plunge converting my existing Mac OS based Internet server
over to YDL. So far in a weekend I have gotten YDL installed and have
the DNS and Apache servers set up. Those two servers are working great.
We are hosting about 10 domains and all are working perfectly. I still
have the FTP and Mail servers to setup.

Now I am currently working on setting up the FTP server using the
server ProFTPd that comes installed with YDL. I am finding the setup
very confusing and think I just need a little help from an experienced
admin. Here is what I am trying to accomplish:

- I do not want any anonymous FTP access at all
- The apache virtual servers for each domain are set to each users home
directory as follows:
       www.user.com points to /home/user/www/ (this works great)
- When a user logs into thier account via FTP I want them to
automatically be placed into thier home directory with access to all
other directories below that. (I think this is working already)
- I do not want users to be able to access any other directories above
thier home directory, not to even see them at all. (This is not working
as when I log in as my regular (non-root) user I can navigate all over
the file system with my FTP client)

If I can accomplish these tasks that would be great... other things
like directory size limits and stuff like that may be imposed later,
but up until now it hasn't been an issue. It is just me and a few
friends hosting our sites on my computer off of my DSL line. Nothing
commercial, just for fun. We decided we would like to try it on Linux
instead of the Mac OS because of the access to more tools and features.

I am hoping that some kind soul out there could guide me in the right
direction and maybe even supply me with a sample proftpd.conf file
skeleton that would help me along my way!

Thanx so much in advance,
Gordo

... well off to play with sendmail... ;-)